FRIDAY, March 1 (HealthDay Information) — Several females like gel manicures because they are sturdy and long-lasting, but repeated use can cause nail thinning, brittleness, peeling and cracking, and also cover nail illness, an skilled warns.
“In general, any manicure remaining in place for an prolonged period of time of time is not a good notion because you are not seeing what is going on underneath the nail polish,” Dr. Chris Adigun, an assistant professor of dermatology at the New York College Faculty of Drugs in New York Town, said in an American Academy of Dermatology information launch.
“As is the circumstance with most issues, moderation is the crucial when it arrives to gel manicures,” she stated. “If you get them frequently, you need to be informed of the feasible consequences and see a board-qualified skin doctor if a persistent nail problem develops.”
It really is unclear whether nail brittleness connected with gel manicures is caused by chemical compounds in the gel nail polish or by the acetone soaks essential to eliminate the polish. Acetone dries nails and irritates the skin around the nail, Adigun mentioned.
She explained girls who get repeated gel manicures require to know that the UV light-weight used to heal the gel is a risk issue for skin most cancers. Also, photo hurt from the UV mild can cause cosmetic changes in the pores and skin bordering nails.
Yet another prospective difficulty is that nails continuously covered in polish disguise any difficulties occurring underneath the nail, this kind of as an infection or tumor. This could hold off prognosis and therapy, she said.
Adigun offered the adhering to tips for acquiring gel manicures:
- Pay interest to your nails and let them to regrow and restore. Take into account receiving gel manicures only from time to time to reduce the danger of difficulties.
- When receiving gel manicures, put on a broad-spectrum sunscreen on your hands to lessen hurt brought on by exposure to UV mild for the duration of the curing method.
- Inform the manicurist not to thrust or manipulate the cuticle due to the fact that will boost the chance of irritation and an infection and also dry out the nail.
- Use conventional nail polish as an alternative of gel nail polish if you have recurring nail difficulties, or if you have an allergy to acetone, which is utilised to get rid of gel manicures.
- Rehydrate your nails several occasions a day with a moisturizing product, this sort of as petroleum jelly, to battle brittleness, thinning and chipping.
- When eliminating gel nail polish, do not chip it with other nails or resources.
- Soak only the nails, not the total hand or fingers, in acetone even though nail polish is currently being taken out. This will aid prevent pores and skin irritation. If you get gel manicures often, think about buying finger wraps that expose only the nails and defend surrounding pores and skin.
- If you discover any unusual modifications to the nails, see a skin doctor.
– Robert Preidt
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Source: American Academy of Dermatology, information launch, March one, 2013